Saturday, July 30, 2005

Preparing for Senatorial Armageddon

Amy the Fair had this first, but as I'm the one who actually gets to vote in Casey-Santorum (even if I've succeeded Navarro-Valls by November '06), this deserves some treatment from a native Pennsylvanian writing from the River City of the Pharaohs, and William Penn too.

Bob Casey -- the Democratic nominee for Senate against Sick Rick -- gave an interview to Ignatius Insight. Shrewd move on Bob's part; those cats once had the temerity to question my credentials because I didn't view Archbishop Levada as the Devil.

Bill makes the Legionaries tremble. And I should be scared? Please.

For its part, Insight's interview sounds more like it's being given by Ed Gillespie or Karl Rove (or even that thing Deal Hudson) than an outlet which claims some kind of balance. The impression is more GOP Butterscotch Stallion than "Insight." And we should be surprised, snowflakes? But oh well.

Here are some noteworthy excerpts:
IgnatiusInsight.com: As a Catholic, does your faith shape your positions and actions? If so, in what ways?

Casey:
Yes. My Catholic faith and the values reflected in that faith have always had a profound impact on me as a person and as a public official. I try to live up to the teachings of my faith in my personal life and in my public life.

IgnatiusInsight.com: Sen. Santorum has criticized you for your support of the judicial filibuster that he says is used solely to enforce compliance with Roe v. Wade. Could you comment on that?

Casey:
The filibuster is one of the only mechanisms available in the Senate that forces more bipartisanship. We need more common ground and cooperation in Washington. My opponent has filibustered Democratic nominees. He’s trying to have it both ways....

IgnatiusInsight.com: You are described as a pro-life Democrat. Would you explain your stance on the death penalty, abortion, and embryonic stem cell research and human cloning?... How do your positions differ from those of your opponent?

Casey:
I believe that being pro-life means the right to a decent life for a mother and her child before and after birth.

I am and I have always been pro-life....

As a U.S. Senator, I will strongly support funding for stem cell research that doesn’t destroy an embryo. There are many promising techniques under development that don’t require destroying the embryo and there’s good reason to hope that soon we’ll be able to remove the politics from this issue.

I also strongly support increased federal funding for research on stem cells derived from adult cells, bone marrow and placentas — areas where tremendous progress has already been made.
Wow. The Boy has neutralized the Republicans -- even on guns, which is HUGE in this biggest state in terms of NRA membership.... And he's pro-social justice, in favor of helping the underprivileged as opposed to voodoo tax cuts. Un vero catolico!

This is going to be the greatest Senate race in American history. And I'll get to vote in it. For Casey.

-30-

3 Comments:

Blogger Vonshui said...

And how does one help the underprivileged? I don't want lists of services, I want the methodology. A future post perhaps?

30/7/05 01:42  
Blogger Vonshui said...

And don't forget the other exceedingly wealthy "poverty lovers":

Hilliary Clinton

Barbara Boxer

Dianne Feinstein

I suppose if the poor were afforded as many face lifts as Ted Kennedy and Barbara Boxer, they too would be hard working, upper-middle class citizens.


How is it that wealthy Democrats know so much about poverty and know so well how to spend OTHER people's money? There must be a secret book on the Hill us "poverty haters" don't know about.

30/7/05 14:51  
Blogger Tom said...

Does the Church have a position on Senate filibusters?

Of course, the real question is Iggles or Stillers.

1/8/05 11:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home