Monday, August 29, 2005

Theology 101

From the "Too Good to Resist" file, from a commentor over at Amy's:
Speaking of the title of Monsignor, before moving to eastern PA I had never encountered so many monsignors. In the 5 surrounding parishes there is at least one in each.
I guess I have to return to the basics of Eastern (Pennsylvania) Spirituality 101....

Any patristic scholar worth his salt could tell you that monsignors are God's way of telling the church "I love you and am with you always." Right? As we all know, this comes from apostolic times. The first bishops would only don the finest amaranth-red silk tunics -- and St. Peter would never be caught dead fishing without a stunning filigreed pectoral cross (suspended on the cord).

For the life of me, I'm still baffled as to how "good" Catholics can't intrinsically understand this. Then again, I guess it's just my luck of having had the best of hyper-clericalist catechetics.

-30-

6 Comments:

Blogger David King said...

Hey, you have a super blog! I'll be checking back soon for more.

I have a clickbank affiliate website. It covers mostly clickbank affiliate related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

30/8/05 01:04  
Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was just looking around some blogs and checking different templates for ideas. Good blog with a nice template. I can start my own blog on Subliminal Messages thanks to your blog. I will visit weekly by the way. Like your ideas.

30/8/05 01:41  
Blogger Gyrovagus said...

Rocco,

Do you think it's a coincidence that the posting of yours to attract the most USELESS and UNWANTED SPAM

is the one on Monsignors?

LOL !!!!!!!

30/8/05 09:10  
Blogger John Hearn said...

Out here in LA, every monsignor I meet is a dyed in the wool (sheep skin) dissident. I think that that honor is bestowed by our Cardinal Archbishop on those who have proven their worth in the important task of kissing his a** with the utmost zeal. But I could be wrong...

30/8/05 12:33  
Blogger Gyrovagus said...

John, you wrote:

"I think that that honor is bestowed by our Cardinal Archbishop on those who have proven their worth in the important task of kissing his a** with the utmost zeal."

I thought that was always the principal determining criterion - no matter on which side of the ecclesiological fence the episcopal seat (as opposed to the cathedra) was located.

That and knowing where enough bodies were buried.

On the other hand, in one diocese near here, the joke was that that was the ONLY way to get a liberal priest to wear a cassock: make him a Monsignor!

30/8/05 13:50  
Blogger John Hearn said...

Gyrovagus,

You may well be right as far as I know, as I have only sampled the ecclesiastic delights of LA.

30/8/05 16:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home