Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Homage to The Man

So I thought this photograph of Yasser Arafat kissing the ring of John Paul (he of the "Me, Tarzan. You, Jane." machismo) would get your attention.

The ever intrepid -- and, of course, cultured -- Fr. Jim Tucker, of Dappled Things fame, has added a photo collection in praise of the baciamano, the vaunted ring-kiss given those hierarchs lucky enough to wear one. Do check it out....

And comments are open, just in case anyone has any enlightening thing to say about kissing men's hands.

-30-

4 Comments:

Blogger F. S. Poesy said...

I remember at my first communion, maybe around 1969, jockeying for position with the rest of the first communicants to have the chance to kiss the bishop's ring as he was leaving the church. I thought it was the coolest thing. We all did. Soon after that we stopped using the communion rail and I was exposed to my first "folk" mass. Church lost it's cool factor for quite some time after that and it's only in mid-life when I'm starting to rediscover some of that coolness.

22/11/05 10:49  
Blogger Diogenes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

22/11/05 11:31  
Blogger Diogenes said...

I can imagine such a scene in one or two bars in Glebe, but not the ones I frequent.

22/11/05 11:33  
Blogger Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve said...

As much as I love and respect Pope John Paul, this picture really makes me cringe. It's like Hitler kissing the Pope's ring. I suppose John Paul had his reasons for trying to intervene in that situation, but Arafat had so much blood on his hands that it would have been more appropriate for the pope to refuse this gesture.

22/11/05 20:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home