Wednesday, February 22, 2006

THE CONSISTORY: Cardinal-designate O'Malley

Cardinal-designate Sean Patrick O'Malley, OFM Cap., archbishop of Boston, has released a statement.

The cardinal-designate is "traveling domestically" today, so there will be no in-person press conference in his archdiocese:
"I am deeply humbled and honored to be named a Cardinal by the Holy Father, for
even greater service in the Church.

While there are certain additional responsibilities that come with the privilege of serving as a Cardinal, I wish to reaffirm a commitment I made during my Installation Homily to the priests, deacons, religious and laity, who together form this great Archdiocese of Boston. That is, I am your Shepherd, your brother, and I am here to serve all the people of the Archdiocese.

Since being named Archbishop of Boston over two years ago, I have relied on the daily prayers and support of the clergy, religious, and faithful of the Archdiocese. Together, we have faced many challenges and I look forward to continuing our work together towards strengthening our Church. I continue to pray that all people of the Archdiocese will renew their commitment to our shared mission of faith and rebuilding the Church.

In the immediacy of receiving this honor from the Holy Father, in a spirit of charity, I ask for the prayerful support of the people of Boston as I assume this important role in the life of the Church."

PHOTO:
AP/Chitose Suzuki

-30-